Well, it was an exhausting day at the hospital. All in all, things went very well. We all woke up early due to jetlag; but I don't think anyone was too upset, as it gave us the opportunity to enjoy the amazing breakfast buffet at the resort. I think Tony had 3 bowls of Pho, I had two, Renee had one. We also enjoyed all the fresh tropical fruit, and various Vietnamese treats. Becky had an omelet, yogurt and cereal (Unlike her taste in men, I think she secretly fears Asian food).
Arriving at the hospital, we were ushered into the new rehabilitation center. What a site! Just a year ago, we were planning the build. Now, a full working rehabilitation center, complete with a large gym with two sets of parallel bars. There were separate rooms for hydrotherapy, diathermy, electrical stimulation, and private treatment. Upstairs, was a VNAH office and meeting rooms.
As they ushered us into the conference room, we were greated by a packed house of over 50 doctors, techs, nurses, and therapists. Also on-hand was Vietnam TV (VTV). Seems that our work was of enough public interest to make the news (that 2 years in a row!)
After some welcoming speeches, and my nerve-racking powerpoint lecture, we proceeded down to the gym to get down and dirty. Our job, evaluate and screen 2o patients to decided on a handful that we would treat during our week-long workshop.
I did not anticipate this as I thought they had already picked out 2-3 patients for us to work with. I panicked for a moment; and Becky and Tony stood by, not really sure what was going on. Luckily, instinct kicked in. First Becky, then the rest of us, jumped in. Questions and discussions were flying left and right. What I originally planned as an hour to tour the facility and observe some patients, quickly turned into 3 hours of patient evaluation and discussion of plans of care. At hour 2, some of us started feeling a bit faint (some how, we all forgot to eat lunch).
Oh yeah, I know I haven't mentioned Renee today...No, she wasn't home sick from bad spring rolls (though I'm a bit worried about what I ate for dinner two hours ago). One of the doctors sprung a research proposal on her to edit. After this, she helped out with the photos and making sure none of us passed out.
As exhausted as we all were, I think we all bonded together knowing we were able to help some people in need. So, instead of heading home to pass out, it was time to go out for some beers and dinner. Plus, everyone was eagar to go to Hoi An to get fitted with some custom suits and dressess. As the girls and Tony tried on outfit after outfit...I drifted off to sleep sitting in a chair in the shop with a dog on the table stairing at me...well, now i'm exhausted and it's time for bed. Enjoy the phots.
No comments:
Post a Comment