
Good Morning! Well, it's actually day 5 and our last day here in Danang. There is a steady downpour outside as we are on the tail-end of monsoon season. We have a noon flight to Hanoi, which I am very excited to go see as I have never been there. We had originally planned on squeezing in another teaching seminar this morning. But, the week was long and productive, so all parties involved decided that another session was not necessary. I think that turned out to be a great idea, as it gave our participants from the mountain regions a chance to get a headstart on their long trips home. For us, a chance to enjoy sleeping in (though Tony and I woke up early so we could enjoy the breakfast buffett for 2-hrs!), and pack for our flights.
As for our last night in Danang, we had a realxing dinner outdoors with the waves crashing in the background. After, we went to the bar to enjoy the coverband. Unfortunately they replaced last years Fillipino cover-band with a bad vietnamese version (sorry Scott and Kim, you would have been sorely dissapointed). It was their first week, they didn't know a single Journey or Bon Jovi song, and couldn't stay in key. Trust me, I noted this in the hotel satification survey!
Well, it's pouring rain out. I'm going to put on my rain gear and attempt to ride my bike to the marble mountains...So more photos, and here are some thoughts from Renee:
Our last and final day working with the VNAH on this trip began with a warm bowl of breakfast pho at the hotel. We were then off to the rehab center for a wrap up training session and more Vietnamese cuisine at our good-bye celebration at the hospital.
We then proceeded with our film crew into the vans for what would be a bumpy ride into the rural areas of Danang to see two patients. The first home was almost completely surrounded by rice paddies and, as we approached this patients home, we could hear traditional Vietnamese music coming from a mourning ceremony of a death of another neighbor. Apparently, this is how the Vietnamese in this area honor the deceased but for me it was clearly setting the tone for what we be a very difficult encounter. The patient we interacted with had no response to us and remains an extremely emaciated 15 year old girl with the most severe cerebral palsy we have seen so far. The family, beyond friendly and warm looking to us for any advice we could offer. We did our best to take as much information as we could from this and gave of recommendations. 
On to the next patient.....I am happy to say this intake was much easier, as this 48 year old man had been receiving his therapy and equipment from the VNAH. He was functioning at a high level in his community even working as an art instructor.. It was a happy ended to what has been a very interesting and challenging week. Evidence to all of us that this program at the VNAH works.
As a nurse and public health clinician, I have seen a lot of hopelessness and despair but the situation for the handicap in Vietnam needs all of our attention. I hope to do more to help once I return to DC. I would like to thank everyone involved with the VNAH for the opportunity to met and understand the important work you are doing. The people I have met have been both informative and kind. It is my first time in an asian country and I am very impressed with the culture and the friendliness of the people. I am honored and blessed to have had this opportunity. --Cam on! (Renee Laughlin)
Yes, the photo is me eating pizza "asian" style (no, I didn't order it, or actually eat it. We won't name names)

...OK OFF TO HANOI!
Yes, the photo is me eating pizza "asian" style (no, I didn't order it, or actually eat it. We won't name names)
...OK OFF TO HANOI!
No comments:
Post a Comment