

Sorry, I skipped a day on the blog. Things have been hectic since getting into Hanoi. This city is crazy! So many people. So many scooters. So much shopping. So much noise. So much smog....you get the point.
Anyway, I feel like I just smoked 2 packs of cigarettes. My lungs are burning, my head hurts, and I just took my third shower. So, no bloggin' for me...I'm off to bed. Luckily, Tony volunteered to do the honors today. Here's his thoughts:
We just completed our second night here in Hanoi. There is a very warm and charming feel to this hustling city with a lot of history and urban beauty. However, all that is really hard to enjoy due to one major factor-pollution. Especially the horrible exhaust coming out of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of motorbike/scooters. I can see they don't have a biannual 'emissions' test like our state DMV mandates. Being a kid from the Seattle area-I would say I live in one of the cleanest urban areas. This town would easily be the smoggiest place I ve ever visited. Its so bad, we purposely took time to rest in our hotel during the day b/c its the busiest and most motorbike congested. Hanoi makes DaNang motorbike riders look like senior citizens in Volvos (no offense Ballard) and their air quality a Utopia. 

They need like 100 air purifiers on every block. Enough said of the pollution (but I do have to say that Frommer's travel book doesn't say anything about the pollution). Last night we laid low and did some shopping and sat on a 4th floor restaurant's balcony. Took the sights from Hoan Kiem Lake and the lights of all the stores and the motorbike/cars. It was our first time really walking around in any city since we've been in Vietnam. The motorbikes again spoil our enjoyment as everyone parks on the damn sidewalk. There is literally no room their that we are often forced onto the street in many cases within inches of a motorbike, car, bicycle, and rickshaw. We learned quickly that when you cross the street, you always commit to what route you're taking and maintain your pace and let the riders/drivers maneuver around you. If you make any sudden stops or speed up too quickly, you've ruined the mutual agreement between riders and pedestrians and you'll get slammed. 



(This is McCain's flight suit that he was captured in. The photos are of the "Hanoi Hilton" prison where he was kept)
No comments:
Post a Comment